CHOCOLATE CREAM PUFFS
Makes 12 puffs at 494 each. Prep: 20 minutes.
Bake: at 400° for 40 minutes.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 eggs
- 1 quart mint-chocolate-chip ice cream
Fresh mint, for garnish
1. Combine water, butter, sugar and salt in medium-size saucepan. Place over medium-low heat to melt butter. Add flour and cocoa powder all at once; stir vigorously with wooden spoon until mixture pulls away from side of pan, 1 minute (photo 1, below). Remove from heat.
2. Heat oven to 400°. Lightly coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
3. Off heat, add eggs, one at a time, to batter in saucepan, beating well with wooden spoon after each addition (photo 2). Spoon into large pastry bag fitted with a very large plain tip. Pipe 2-inch rounds onto prepared baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart (photo 3). Or drop mixture onto sheet by level 1/4 cupfuls.
4. Bake in 400° oven 40 minutes, until puffed and firm. Cool slightly. Cut off top third of each puff; scoop out soft center from bases (photo 4). Cool bases and tops on rack.
5. Fill puffs with ice cream; cover with tops. Freeze on baking sheets until firm. Transfer to airtight containers. Freeze for up to 1 week.
6. Place puffs on plates. Let stand 15 minutes. Dust with confectioners’ sugar. Garnish with mint.
Nutrient Value Per Puff:
235 calories, 5 g protein, 15 g fat, 21 g carbohydrate, 107 mg sodium, 129 mg cholesterol.
Exchanges: 1/2 starch/bread, % meat, IA milk, 2/3 fruit, 3 fat.
PISTACHIO TORTE WITH CRANBERRY CURD
Makes 12 servings at 85$ each. Prep: 50 minutes.
Bake: at 325° for 20 minutes.
- 3 cups (12 ounces) ground pistachios OR: hazelnuts 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil OR: vegetable oil 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter pieces, at room temperature
- Whipped Cream:
- 11/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Sugared cranberries, for garnish (optional; page 114) Chopped pistachios, for garnish (optional)
1. Prepare torte: Heat oven to 325°. Line jelly-roll pan with waxed paper. Combine nuts, flour and salt in bowl.
2. Beat whites, cream of tartar in bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 16 cup sugar until firm peaks form.
3. Beat yolks and remaining sugar in bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in oil and vanilla. Fold yolk mixture into whites. Fold in nut mixture in 3 additions. Spread in prepared pan.
4. Bake in 325° oven 20 minutes, until center springs back when lightly pressed. Remove from pan; remove paper; cool right side up. Trim sides; cut crosswise into thirds. (Can be made month ahead. Stack pieces with waxed paper; wrap; freeze.)
5. Prepare curd: Simmer berries, sugar, ginger and water in saucepan 5 minutes. Force through sieve; discard solids. Whisk cornstarch into puree. Return to saucepan. Cook 1 minute to thicken. Place in bowl; cool slightly, 15 minutes. Whisk in butter. Cool. Refrigerate. (Can be made up to 5 days ahead.)
6. Prepare cream: Beat cream and sugar in bowl until stiff peaks form. Reserve one-third for serving.
7. To assemble: Place a cake layer on serving plate. Spread half of cranberry curd evenly over top. Top with cake layer; spread with remaining whipped cream. Top with third layer; spread on remaining curd. Serve with reserved whipped cream. Garnish with cranberries, pistachios and grape-ivy leaves if desired.
Nutrient Value Per Serving:
545 calories, 11 g protein, 35 g fat, 51 g carbohydrate, 135 mg sodium, 158 mg cholesterol.
Exchanges: 3/4 starch/bread, 1 meat, 2% fruit, 61,6 fat.
Note: If you have a sweet tooth, that’s ok! You can treat yourself every once in a while. If you don’t, you’ll feel deprived and end up completely blowing your diet… Try using garcinia cambogia fruit extract dr oz and it’ll help you burn off the little treats fast.